How Diet Affects Your Skin? Top 10 Skin Clearing Foods
You are what you eat. This is what some people believe because whatever food you consume becomes part of you. There are foods that shape your body and make you look younger and beautiful. There are also foods that cause a lot of damage inside and outside your body and make you sick. This article will talk about top skin clearing foods that help to keep your skin smoother, clearer, and glowing. These are called skin food and you will find out what kind of food you should consume if you want to have better skin quality.
How Diet Affects Your Skin
It is true that your diet can affect your skin condition. There are some diets that can make your skin too dry or too oily. Other foods can even cause acne and other skin conditions to come out. It is important to know which food is healthy for your skin. If you currently have poor skin quality, perhaps the solution is to change your diet and look for a new diet for healthy skin. Here are some ways to how your diet affects your skin.
If your diet does not consist of healthy fats, this means your body might be low on essential fatty acids that keep your skin moist and supple. This also prevents skin dryness. Healthy fats also help your body absorb the nutrients you are eating to give you smooth and clear skin. These healthy fats come from nuts, seeds, avocado, fatty fish, olive oil, and hemp.
Vegetables and whole grains are rich in antioxidants that fight off free radicals responsible for aging, wrinkles, blemishes, and brown spots. This means younger looking skin for you. However, consuming too many vegetables means that your diet may be low in fat, and this may have a negative impact on your skin. You can incorporate olive oil, safflower oils, or flaxseeds on your vegetarian diet to help your skin retain more water to make it supple, soft, and moist.
Wrinkles are inevitable as you age. However, there are many people who develop wrinkles prematurely. One of the reasons why this happens is because of too much sugar consumption. Sugar kills collagen in your cells causing damage to your skin. Collagen is responsible for keeping your skin elastic, soft, and plump, and it prevents wrinkles from occurring prematurely. So if you want a clear skin without any wrinkles, avoid putting too much sugar in your food and drinks.
Starchy foods are the same as sugar, which also raises blood sugar level. When your blood sugar goes up, inflammation can occur and your insulin level is not balanced. Too much sugar in your system prevents your liver from filtering toxins. When this happens, the toxins can be released through your skin, which shows up as acne. Again, it is recommended to eat less sugary foods and starchy foods and more green leafy vegetables, healthy fats, and lean protein.
Highly Processed Wheat, Dairy, and Sugar
When you eat more processed wheat, dairy, and sugar, along with coffee, it stresses out your adrenal glands, which produce a tired looking skin and dark circles around the eyes. Also, not eating enough can make your skin look tired. Another reason that can cause dark circles under the eyes is food allergies, so be sure to check if you are allergic to certain foods.
What To Eat for Glowing Skin
A perfect, glowing skin is what everyone is trying to achieve. What you eat for the whole day can have a major impact on the condition of your skin. If you want to improve the quality of your skin, you should include these healthy foods in your daily diet.
- Watermelon – very rich in lycopene that keeps your skin fully hydrated and supple. It is full of nutrients that are good not just for your skin, but also for your overall health. Include watermelon in your healthy skin diet.
- Low Fat Yogurt with Granola and Pomegranate Seeds – low-fat yogurt contains vitamin A and protein that promotes healthy skin cells. You can partner your yogurt with granola and pomegranate seeds for a hint of sweetness, and it includes antioxidants that fight off free radicals that can cause wrinkles and premature skin aging.
- Whole Grain Toast and Almond Butter – whole grain toast is always a better option because it is high in fiber and nutrients, and low in sugar. Almond butter is rich in iron, which is essential for having a healthy skin. Almonds are also known to protect the skin from sunburns.
- Strawberry Smoothie – this is a perfect breakfast drink if you want to maintain a smooth and healthy skin. It contains lots of vitamin C that builds your immune system and keeps your skin glowing.
- Fruit Smoothie with Flaxseed – this is another great breakfast drink for the skin. Your fruit smoothie can have different berries and vegetables that are full of antioxidants to keep your skin hydrated. Add flaxseed to boost its nutritional value. Flaxseed is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that promote healthy cell membranes. When you have a healthy cell membrane, you have smooth, wrinkle-free, and clear skin.
- Zucchini Chickpea Burger – this lunch meal is made up of quinoa, chickpeas, and grated zucchini with sunflower seeds. This burger has high levels of vitamin E, which can prevent acne and heal acne-scarred skin. Zucchini can hydrate your skin since it is mostly made up of water. The other green vegetable ingredients can provide vitamin C for healing damaged skin.
- Almond Crusted Chicken with Raspberry Sauce – the almonds on the crust contains vitamin E, which protects the skin from the damaging rays of the sun. The raspberry sauce is a good source of polyphenols, which protects the skin from the damages of free radicals.
- Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup – make your lunch even healthier for your skin with this delicious soup. It contains tomatoes, which are full of lycopene that is very good for your skin health. Red peppers are rich in vitamin C, which promotes younger looking clear skin.
- Lemon Herb Salmon – this dinner meal is rich in omega-3, which is very healthy for the skin. It is also baked instead of fried to prevent grease and oil.
- Sesame-Soy Salmon with Carrots and Edamame – Salmon is rich in omega-3 and fatty acids that prevent inflammation. The edamame is a soybean that is linked to the reduction of wrinkles.
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili – Sweet potatoes have high levels of vitamin C that can make your skin smoother and prevent wrinkles. Black beans are a good source of folic acid that protects the skin from the damages of UV rays.
All of these fantastic meals can be a part of your healthy skin diet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Always look for dishes that incorporate healthy ingredients and spices, or you can also experiment and make your own dishes based on foods that are good for your skin.
Clear Skin Diet Plan
Building a clear skin diet is not simply because you have to include a lot of healthy foods that are good for your skin. When your diet is missing some key ingredients, then it may result in the breakout of other skin problems. The best way to maintain a clear skin diet is to get a balanced nutrition on a daily basis. So here is what your diet for healthy skin should include:
Low-Fat Dairy Products
When you are building your own healthy skin diet, one of the most important components should be foods rich in vitamin A. Your best source of vitamin A is low-fat dairy products. Most experts believe that vitamin A is a huge factor for maintaining the health of skin cells. One good example of this type of food is the low-fat yogurt that is rich in vitamin A, and it is also good for your digestive system. Remember, when buying your dairy products such as milk and cheese, always choose the fat-free or low-fat products.
Berries and Plums
Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and plums are considered as having the highest antioxidant capacity among all the foods today. These antioxidants protect your skin cell from daily exposure to the UV rays of the sun and the free radicals that damage the DNA of the cell. With berries and plums included in your daily diet, you can have a much younger looking skin with fewer wrinkles and blemishes.
Essential Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids are a must in your clear skin diet because it is responsible for the healthier cell membrane. The role of your cell membrane is to act as a barrier or protection and it is also a passageway for both the nutrients and the waste products. A healthy cell membrane can hold moisture, which means that your skin can look younger, smoother, and plumper. The most popular fatty acids are the omega-3 and omega-6, and these can be found in fish, flaxseed oil, walnuts, and canola oil.
Staying hydrated is very important if you want to maintain a healthy clear skin. Just plain water is fine. You don’t have to drink juice or soda, which contains lots of sugars that is damaging to your skin and overall health. Water is also a good detoxification agent that is good for your skin. When you are always hydrated, you sweat more, which is good for your skin.
This very healthy beverage deserves a spot in your diet for healthy skin. Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties that protect your cell membrane and reduces the risk of skin cancer. Green tea has the ability to protect the skin from the damages of the UV rays, thus lowering the risk of skin cancer. It also has high levels of polyphenols, which is beneficial to your skin health.