Home Remedies To Get Rid of Chest Acne
No one wants to have chest acne, especially women who sometimes wear blouses or dresses with low, plunging necklines. These chest acnes are unsightly and they can ruin your skin. It is also a very common problem, just like facial acne.
So what causes chest acne? Like face acne, the cause of chest acne is when skin pores are blocked by dead skin cells or oils. The chest area has a large sebaceous gland, which produces oil, making your chest a hotspot for the development of acne.
The symptoms of chest acne are redness, swelling, pain, bleeding, inflammation, skin infection, and scarring. It can happen to both men and women, and with varying degrees of severity. If your chest acne is getting out of hand, then you should most probably visit a dermatologist to get the best treatment for your condition.
Causes of Chest Acne
We already know that the clogging of the pores due to oils and dirt can cause acne, but there are also other factors that can speed up its development. Some of these factors can be controlled and prevented, while others involve the natural changes within your body.
- Stress – when you get stressed out, your stress hormone or cortisol rises. This causes the increase in oil production in your body, which leads to oily skin. With excess oils being trapped in your pores, it becomes acne.
- Sleep Deprivation – lack of sleep also causes stress, which leads to acne breakout. Sleep deprivation also increases insulin resistance, which makes you more prone to acne. Insulin resistance increases sugar or glucose, which causes acne.
- Smoking – although there is no direct link that smoking causes acne breakout, it still has a negative effect on the skin, making it more prone to acne. It depletes vitamin C, which helps improve your skin, and it reduces blood flow, which leaves your skin dry.
- Cosmetic Products – if you have the habit of going to sleep without cleaning your face and taking off your makeup, then you are prone to have acne breakouts. Your skin may also be allergic to some cosmetic ingredients, so you have to check them before purchasing. Make-ups can clog the pores, therefore cause acne.
- Unhealthy Diet – fatty and oily foods, and foods high in sugar can cause your skin to develop acne. Have a more balanced diet and avoid consuming too much junk foods, fast foods, soda, processed foods, and sweets.
- Tight Fitting Clothes – if the material of your clothes does not allow your body to breathe and it is too tight fitting, then it might cause acne on your body. Tight fitting clothes trap dead skin cells, sweat, dirt, heat, and moisture, which irritate the skin and clog the pores.
- Hormonal Changes – these hormonal changes may be from pregnancy, puberty, or birth control pills. Hormones can affect the production of the oil glands in your body, making you more prone to acne.
Best Home Remedies To Get Rid of Chest Acne
There may be many factors that can cause chest acne, but you don’t have to worry too much because there are also many home remedies that can effectively get rid of chest acne. Most over-the-counter acne treatment products may be effective, but they are also quite expensive, and you have to buy them every time you have an acne breakout. If you want to save some money and you need a better and more natural alternative, you can try these chest acne home remedies below.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains alpha hydroxyl acids, which has the ability to dissolve dead skin cells and unclog skin pores. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can stop acne from developing. This makes apple cider vinegar a very effective substance when it comes to treating acne. If you want to make your own apple cider home remedy for your chest acne, just follow the instructions below.
- Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 2 parts water. Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it directly on your chest area. Leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then rinse it off using lukewarm water. You can do this two times daily.
- Another alternative is to mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of cooled green tea, 1 teaspoon of raw honey, and add 5 teaspoons of sugar. Apply this mixture on your chest area using circular motions, and then leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash it off with water. Do this treatment once a week.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and drink it once or twice a day to help prevent chest acne.
Acne in your chest area can be full of bacteria. In order to fight off these harmful bacteria, you can choose lemon as your home remedy. Lemon has a very strong antibacterial property and it contains L-ascorbic acid, which works as a natural astringent that dries out the acne. So if you have lots of lemon in your refrigerator, you can prepare your own chest acne home remedy by following the directions given here.
- Slice the lemon in half and rub it directly on the acne area of your chest. Allow the juice of the lemon to remain on your skin for about 30 minutes, and then wash your chest thoroughly with cool water. Do this remedy once a day.
- Another way is to make a solution containing equal amounts of lemon juice and rose water. Apply the solution on your chest area and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off with cool water. Repeat this process two times daily.
- If your skin is very sensitive, it may be harmful to your skin to use lemon as your remedy for acne.
Baking soda can be used as an exfoliating agent for your chest area. It is effective in scrubbing off the dead skin cells that can clog the pores and cause an acne breakout. Baking soda is a great remedy to use if you want to have smoother and cleaner chest skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the inflammation, redness, and pain caused by acne. Here is how you can prepare your own baking soda home remedy for chest acne.
- Put 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a small bowl and add a small amount of water.
- Stir until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Apply the resulting paste into your chest area.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash it off with cool water.
- Use this baking soda home remedy only once daily.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another effective remedy you can use in fighting off chest acne. This essential oil has a powerful antiseptic property that helps clean the pores to speed up the treatment process of acne. It is also antibacterial, which means that it can kill the bacteria that cause the acne breakout. According to a 2007 study, tea tree oil is an effective treatment for mild to moderate acne vulgaris. Here is how you can use tea tree oil to treat your chest acne.
- Put 1 to 2 drops of tea tree oil on a cotton ball.
- Apply the cotton ball on your chest acne and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this tea tree oil treatment two or three times per day.
Aloe vera is effective in treating acne on different parts of your body, including the chest area. The aloe vera gel contains anthraquinones and flavonoids, which can quickly dry out acne and speeds up the healing process. It is also an ideal treatment for the itchiness, redness, and swelling caused by acne. You can use aloe vera as a home remedy for your chest acne by following this direction below.
- Get an aloe vera leaf and break it open to extract the gel inside.
- Apply the gel directly to the affected area of your chest.
- Rub it in for some time to let the gel penetrate deeper into the skin.
- Allow the gel to dry on its own.
- Repeat this remedy 2 or 3 times a day, until the acne is completely gone.
Believe it or not, toothpaste is not just for your teeth, but it can also be used as an effective remedy for your chest acne. The white toothpaste has antibacterial properties that can fight the bacteria that cause chest acne. If the acne is caused by over-productive oil glands, you can use white toothpaste to dry them out. Here is how you can use toothpaste to treat your chest acne.
- Apply white toothpaste to the affected area of your chest.
- It is recommended to apply the toothpaste at night so you can leave it on your skin until morning.
- Rinse off your chest in the morning with cold water.
- Repeat this remedy until your acne dries out.
Cinnamon is an effective home remedy for chest acne because it contains strong antimicrobial properties. It can help fight off the bacteria that causes your chest acne. Follow the steps below in order to create your own chest acne home remedy using cinnamon.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder with a little amount of honey to make a paste. Apply this paste mixture directly on your chest acne and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Wash it off completely and pat dry. Do it two times a day.
- Another alternative is to mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder and 3 tablespoons of squeezed lemon juice. Apply the mixture to the affected area of your chest. Let it sit on your skin for one hour, and then rinse it off with cool water. Do this once a day.
Turmeric is another home remedy ingredient that has powerful antibacterial properties that can reduce acne on your chest. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help get rid of the redness and inflammation brought about by the acne. It is rich in antioxidants and it can help fade acne scars. If you are going to use turmeric as a remedy for your chest acne, then you can follow these steps below.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with rose water to make a paste. Apply the paste to your chest acne and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this once or twice daily to get the best results.
- An turmeric remedy is to mix together 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of honey, and 2 teaspoons of milk. Apply the resulting mixture to your chest acne. Wait until it dries up on your chest and rinse it off using lukewarm water. Use this turmeric remedy two or three times per week.
Oatmeal can be used to exfoliate the skin, which cleanses the pores and absorbs the skin’s excess oils. This helps in minimizing the development of acne. It can also be used to treat the pain and swelling associated with acne. Here is how you can prepare your own oatmeal home remedy for chest acne.
- Cook 1 cup of oatmeal and wait until it cools down.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and the juice of ½ lemon in the cooked oatmeal. Mix them well.
- Apply the resulting paste to the affected area of your chest.
- Leave it on your skin for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do it once daily.
Garlic contains allicin, which can kill bacteria that causes acne. It is also an anti-inflammatory that can reduce the redness and swelling associated with acne. Aside from getting rid of acne, it can improve your blood circulation and repair skin tissues. Here is how you can use garlic as your remedy for chest acne.
- Peel and crush garlic clove.
- Apply directly to the acne area of your chest.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat every day.
Another alternative way is to use garlic with lemon:
- Peel and crush a garlic clove.
- Combine the lemon juice and crushed garlic.
- Apply it on your chest.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- You can repeat it every day, but be careful because it can sometimes cause skin irritation.
- You can also mix garlic juice and lemon juice.
Fenugreek is effective for chest acne because of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It has the ability to clean and remove dead skin and excess oil, which clogs the pores and cause acne. Here is how you can use Fenugreek to get rid of that nasty chest acne.
- Get a handful of fenugreek leaves and grind them.
- Put a few drops of water to form it into a paste.
- Apply the past to the chest acne and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds overnight.
- In the morning, blend the fenugreek seeds with water.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas of your chest.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry.
Egg whites have high levels of protein and amino acids that can fight bacteria and get rid of excess oils that clog your skin pores. It can also promote skin cell repair and nourish your skin to make it look healthier and younger. If you want to make your own egg white remedy for chest acne, just follow the instructions below.
- Separate the egg white from the yolk.
- Whisk the egg white until it becomes frothy.
- Apply the egg white directly to your chest acne.
- Leave it on until it dries and applies another layer of egg white.
- Repeat this process for 4 to 5 layers.
- After your last application completely dries up, rinse it off with water.
- Do this remedy 3 times a week.
It is not a surprise that honey is often mentioned when it comes to skin care remedies because of its strong antibacterial property. It is also great for moisturizing the skin because it can lock in the moisture in skin cells. It can also dissolve dead skin and remove excess oils. Just follow the steps below when creating your own chest acne remedy using honey.
- Apply a layer of honey to the affected area of your chest.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes or you can let it sit overnight.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water, and then followed by cool water.
- Repeat daily.
- For more benefits, add a pinch of turmeric or 1 teaspoon of sugar to the honey.
You can also combine it with Radish Seeds and Milk for more skin nourishment:
- Add 1 tablespoon each of radish seeds, honey, and milk to a blender.
- Blend them until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply a thick layer of the paste mixture on your chest acne.
- Leave it on for 2 hours.
- Rinse it off with cool water and moisturize with any moisturizer of your choice.
- Repeat daily.
- For the leftover mixture, put it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.