10 Best Ways to Whiten Teeth
How do you whiten teeth at home? There are many ways that you can whiten teeth natural using ingredients that you can easily find in your refrigerator or cupboard. All you need to do is follow the steps correctly so you can get whiter teeth in a matter of days or weeks. Just remember that most of these teeth whitening methods will not give you instant results. It is a gradual process, so you need a little bit of patience and dedication to naturally restore the whiteness of your teeth.
Improve Oral Hygiene
Plaque buildup is one of the leading causes of teeth discoloration. So it is very important to brush and floss your teeth and gums regularly. This will help reduce the bacteria in your mouth and prevent plaque buildup. Through regular brushing, it can gently rub out the stains on the surface of your teeth, while flossing removes the bacteria that cause plaque. Going to the dentist for regular dental cleaning can also help keep your teeth whiter and healthier.
Strawberry, Baking Soda, and Salt
Strawberry is a good cleansing and whitening agent for your teeth because it is rich in vitamin C that helps break down plaque. It also contains malic acid that can get rid of those yellow stains. Salt is included because of it helps in scrubbing away the stain and the gunk that is stuck on the surface of the teeth. Baking soda is optional, so you can do without if you like. In order to start preparing for your strawberry, salt, and baking soda scrub, you will need:
- 1 to 3 large strawberries
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda (optional)
- A pinch of sea salt
- Mash the strawberries into a pulp, and then add a pinch of salt and baking soda.
- Get a paper towel and wipe off the extra saliva from your teeth.
- Apply the strawberry mixture to your toothbrush and brush it directly to your teeth.
- Leave it on your teeth for 5 minutes, and then rinse off.
- You can do this every night to get the best result.
Lemon Juice and Baking Soda Paste
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is an abrasive substance that is capable of scrubbing away the stains on the surface of your teeth. Baking soda is also an alkaline, which means that it is the opposite of acidic. If you eat a lot of acidic food and your mouth is full of acids, then a baking soda can help balance out the ph level. It will also reduce the acidity of the lemon juice, which has a natural bleaching property to whiten your teeth. Remember not to overdo your use of lemon juice since it is highly acidic and can damage the teeth enamel. When starting to prepare your lemon juice and baking soda paste, you will need to get these ingredients:
- Lemon juice to make your paste
- Several teaspoons of baking soda
- Combine several teaspoons of baking soda and lemon juice to make a paste.
- Get a paper towel and wipe your teeth to get rid of extra saliva.
- Place a generous amount of the lemon juice paste on your toothbrush.
- Brush your teeth with the paste for several minutes.
- Wait for at least 1 minute and then rinse off.
- In other days, you can use water instead of lemon juice. If you are using water, you should leave it on for 3 minutes.
Clay has a reputation for having a soft and low abrasive property but still very effective as a polishing agent. This unique quality makes it one of the best substances that can be used to clean and remove the stains on your teeth. Kaolin clay is a specific type of clay that has a very high score for its cleaning and teeth whitening efficiency. It is also proven to remove the yellow stains from the teeth surface. You can still use any other type of clay but Kaolin clay is the most recommended.
Coconut Oil Rinse or Oil Pulling
Since oil pulling has already been discussed previously, this section will only concentrate on how you can effectively use coconut oil rinse. Here are the proper steps on how you can get whiter teeth using coconut oil.
- Before you brush your teeth in the morning, scoop out one tablespoon of coconut oil. If you have a smaller mouth, you can just get a smaller portion.
- If you have a coconut oil that is in a paste form, you can let it soften first. But it is also fine to put the coconut oil paste in your mouth if you cannot wait to let it soften.
- Swish, push, and pull the oil in and around your mouth, tongue, and teeth for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spit it out and rinse it off with water.
- Brush your teeth.
The inside of the banana peel can be used for teeth whitening. It is rich in potassium, manganese, magnesium, and other minerals that can help make your teeth sparkling white. With continuous application, the minerals in the banana peel will be absorbed by the enamel to make it healthier and whiter. Here is the proper method of using the banana peel.
- Brush and floss your teeth as usual.
- After brushing your teeth, get a banana peel from a ripe banana and rub it directly on your teeth for about 2 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
- You can do this twice a day, one in the morning and one before going to bed.
Increase Calcium Intake
Teeth discoloration is often caused by the weakening and eroding of the enamel. This exposes the dentin underneath, which has a yellowish color. You want to strengthen your enamel so that it won’t erode easily, and the best way to do this is to increase your intake of calcium. Some of the best calcium-rich foods include milk, broccoli, and cheese. You’ve probably heard so many times that calcium is good for your bones and teeth, but most of us didn’t know that it can also help prevent teeth discoloration.
Strawberry and Lemon Essential Oil
You can try these homemade teeth whitening paste that you can prepare in only 2 minutes. The amount given here can serve 1 to 2 persons. Here is what you will need for the Strawberry and Lemon Essential Oil teeth whitening paste.
- 1 mashed strawberry
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- Mix together the baking soda with the mashed strawberry until it forms a consistent paste.
- Add in the lemon essential oil and mix them well.
- Put the paste mixture to your toothbrush and proceed to brush your teeth for 2 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Brush your teeth again with your usual toothpaste.
- Remember to use the paste right after preparing it, but you can also refrigerate it for an additional 1 to 3 days. Always mix this teeth whitening paste again every time you use it.